Saturday, August 18, 2007

Singapore Post No. 1: Weaning over

The weaning period has been going on for a little over a month… no more endless readings (or I’d say bibliographic ruminations if I’m writing an academic paper), hand-straining laptop clucking (carpal tunnel syndrome), heavy handwritings (dis-cursive writings), high-blood inducing team projects (group dynamics), and the balancing anemia due to lack of sleep (sleep deprivation).

Warming up to another day of reading... A typical scene in my study room.

The day-long comprehensive exam (academic synthesis) had been dealt with; all remaining drops of energy dispensed or better yet, wrung out. Interestingly, they call such exams here as “capstone.” I thought a fair warning to put on our hardy caps for the final stone to be smashed into these thickened skulls.

It's night time... feverishly beating a midnight deadline to upload a paper.

Hardwired to a year of academic flogging (discipline), I reckon my biological system (circadian rhythm) is yet to evolve (homeostasis) to its new routine. Nowadays, the brain has random rewinds (reminiscences) of its former hurdles. Classic withdrawal symptoms.

Desperately seeking a dose of Starbucks and a fun conversation to celebrate a minor victory--paper uploaded a few minutes to the finish line... Heck, if you can't have the company at this ungodly hour at least, you can still bring the coffee in. Bravo, Starbucks!

One person once told me I should rather not share so much on these boring stuff. Hmm. It was never boring actually. It has been a swell year for absorbing new things anytime, anywhere. Asynchronous learning, I’d say.

Dawn creeping in... Time to call it a day...

Photo credit: Photo Number 2 was by Celes using a lomo camera. The rest is mine, using my ever-reliable Nokia 6280.

No comments: