Monday, September 3, 2007

On turning 30

Ya, many of you know that was four years ago but I was kind of inspired to think of how it was when I read this blog. Somehow, I was able to relate with the author’s anxieties over having her “BIG 3-0” next year…

I remember when I was a lot younger I thought 30 was pretty old. Of course, I know now that nothing can be farther from the truth. Hmm.


Looking back, most of the memories have been brought to life by the many photos we have on year 2003. When I turned 30 it was no big deal, no hoopla... I found a picture of a little but fun office birthday treat... My circumstances had been very different at that time. I did not have the "chance" to ask my “existential questions” the year before.


It was a bit anti-climactic actually… Growing-old-by-leaps-and-bounds moment happened for me two years back when our then-newborn Enzo went through a very rough patch... My personal version of skydiving or bungee jumping. Sort of.
.. Hard-earned lessons on life’s essentials. On what else I want to prove to myself. On what my purpose is in this world.

But I remember 2003 was a very beautiful year because we started to live like any ordinary family. The heartbreaks of two years ago healed. And the best gift for turning 30 thankfully came a year early. My son has been able to hear, see, talk and walk. Despite his dreaded "terrible two stage" everything about it was a "happy problem."

A whiney toddler one moment...

A sweet little angel the next.

I realized just now that, indeed, I had a fresh page when I turned 30. It was the start of our charming little family life. And my accidental foray into social development work has really taken root.

Still, I think being 30 did not make me feel THAT old. Even so, at 34… When I’ll turn forty (with the grace of my Maker), I think, only then can I start calling myself OLD. And I would embrace it with as much fervor as I could.

We can grow old like this.

No comments: